Monday, July 20, 2009

Abandoned.......

If you've seen the scene in Star Wars where Hans Solo and Chewbaka are being tortured in Cloud City -  I think I have figured out the inspiration the sound effects used in the scene... the chicada.

This bug makes a very annoying sound while hiding in the trees.   They seem to be active at night and when they outgrow their ectoskeleton - they leave it behind... on planters, patio furniture and foundations.   They are kind of scary and I don't like them.





Hummingbirds and dragon flies are two of my favorite flying things.   I can't quite figure out how to attract dragonflies but thought that maybe - just maybe - a simple feeder might get a few (at least one) hummingbird.

On May 23 the feeder was hung and it has been kept filled, clean and ready.   So far - not one of the nine varieties* they say we get here in AR have been seen at the table.   I stay hopeful......

*Anna's, Black-Chinned, Broad-Tailed, Buff-Bellied, Calliope, Green Violet-Ear, Magnificent, Ruby-Throated and Rufous



1 comment:

  1. I'm attracted to the hummingbirds and fireflys too, but I have to say that if I were gonna narrow down a favorite flying thing (which I suppose in all reality the list isn't THAT long) it'd have to be fireflys. OMG, they're just amazing, and I guess we've had enough rain here this year to keep them, so I've had a fun time watching them in the evenings. (I wish I could get good pictures of them - they just don't stay lit up long enough!) Thanks for stopping by the garden - it's a work in progress, probably always will be. I started a new blog for my lessons in photography and the trials of the new camera. There are some good pictures there - I just need to finish up the site. Check it out sometime! :) http://abvphotography.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete