Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Fireflies......


The darkness of night was alive Saturday.   It was hot and humid - pretty typical for a summer night in our part of the South (or mid-South if you're not a transplanted Yankee!).   Hundreds of fire flies were busy in the back lot - their glowing show starting low towards the ground and then moving up towards the stars on a  short flight of fancy.   It was magic - they reminded me of so many things.......  summer vacations, the lake, popsicles, Shasta pop, "bbq'd" hot dogs, homemade ice cream and of course the smell of freshly mowed grass!   We walked out front and the whole neighborhood was "on fire" with the strange little creatures - it was an amazing sight!


I decided to learn more about these little bugs.   Could they really look like this?!   Even more “disturbing” was the Wikipedia definition - which I won't even go into....   Don't get me wrong - knowledge is good and we should always learn new things - that makes us better people!  But as far as fire flies go, I think it should be kept simple and magical - just like Faith Hill sang about on her appropriately named album “Fireflies”


     “I found mayonnaise bottles and poked holes on top

      To capture Tinkerbell

      They were just fireflies to the untrained eye

      But I could always tell

      I believe in fairytales and dreamer’s dreams like bed sheet sails
      And I believe in Peter Pan and miracles
      And anything I can to get by
      And fireflies”


Happy Summer!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment